So what is it that a bunch of 8th graders, sitting in Wisconsin, wonder about India when they read a chapter in their world geography textbook? Thanks to my friend and former roommate Jerome, now i know:
1) We read that animals like monkeys and cows are seen as holy in India and can pretty much roam the streets as they please; is this true and have you seen this happen? (Hannah, Sam)
2) How is it possible that India has a booming economy yet many many poor people? (Isaac, Preston)
3) Are arranged marriages still a big thing in India? Why does this happen?
4) How is the food in India? What is your favorite food to eat? (Michaela, Brady, Justice, Madyson, Isaac, Jake, Connor, Ryan, Morgan, Brittney)
5) Is India really that different from the USA (MacKenzie)
6) What is the most beautiful landscape in India (Nicole)
7) What was the biggest thing you had to get used to in India? (Abby, Amber)
8) What is education like in India? Year round school? Do they take SAT/ACT tests like we do? How long is a school day for kids? (Alex, Harley, Sara)
9) What is your living space like? (Jordan)
10) Why are certain animals so important to Hinduism? (Aaron)
11) Would you rather stay living in India or move back to Wisconsin?
12) Are you able to watch Packer games in India? (Alex)
13) Do people hunt for animals in India (Austin)
14) What are the dots on people's heads all about?
15) Does India have any major traditional dances?
16) Why is the country called India?
17) Are you having a good time in India? (Jordan)
18) What is the traffic like in India? (Jordan, Natey)
19) Are people nice to you in India? (Valerie)
20) Do Indians have a weird accent? (Laura)
21) What is the weather like in India? (Tara, Robert, Hannah)
22) Can you watch American TV shows there?
23) Does India have American stores? ie McDonalds, etc (Zach, Drake)
24) Is there a Bollywood sign like the Hollywood sign in the USA? (Hannah)
25) What is the most popular TV show in India? (Taylor)
26) Are you treated differently because you are American?
27) If cows are holy in India, does that mean people don't eat burgers there? (Kirsten)
28) Tell us about your job in India (Skylar, Cameryn)
29) Will the shantytowns and slum areas in India get better? (Abby)
30) Have you been to the Taj Mahal? (Lily, Kristin, Taylor, Christian)
31) What can you do for fun in India? (Casie)
32) Can you tell us about some interesting Indian traditions? (Taylor)
33) Who are some current famous Indians? (Emily)
34) What are the clothing styles like in India? (Bella, Carson, Sam)
35) Have you seen a cricket game in person in India? Do a lot of people play cricket there?(Landon, Elizabeth)
36) How does a major city in the USA compare to a major city in India? (Derek)
37) What sports do people like in India? (Kaylee, Michael)
38) Do you follow Hindu traditions while you are staying there? (Justice)
39) Have you visited Bollywood? (Parker)
40) What have you learned about in India? (Andrew)
So some consulate friends and I took the time to offer our opinions in video form, brining the sights and sounds (if not smells) of modern india to a little classroom in Green Bay.