a gathering place for the words, images and momentos of the world of adventures i've adventured, the stories i've wandered through. curriculum bella vita...a resume, of sorts, of the good life.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

An Elder Statesman


One person i've always wanted to become is Joe Elder, my favorite professor from the University of Wisconsin. A wise old sage, versed in all the stories of ancient India, with plenty of his own to tell too. Even before I transferred to Madison to study India, his reputation preceded him. I had semester long classes with him on Civilizations of India and Thought of Gandhi. I interviewed him as part of my final journalism project and stood in rapt attention when he gave the memorial address at the university's September 11th memorial, the friday after the 2001 attacks.

While trying to pas a job lead off to the Center for South Asia, I stumbled on the announcement of his 50th anniversary of teaching at UW. Wow! A pretty solid career, safe to say. He was one person i felt compelled to typewriter a letter last fall, letting him know a former student was off to staff the consulate in Hyderabad. I haven't gotten a response, but i assume it let to a smile.

No comments: