a gathering place for the words, images and momentos of the world of adventures i've adventured, the stories i've wandered through. curriculum bella vita...a resume, of sorts, of the good life.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

two-hundred-and-nine years later

But it's not like i'm the first to struggle to find myself adjusting to Hyderabad. Borrowing from William Dalrymple's "White Mughals," the best book about Hyderabad's princely mughal history:

"Since I came to this country, I cannot begin to recount all that has happened to me by way of suffering, deception and diseases, with no one intelligent to talk to...Alas, how could I know that matters would come to this present sorry state - broken and stuck in the hellish climate of Hyderabad!"

-- Abdul Lateef (1802)

And it will certainly improve over due course, as my mom has confessed that she is praying to St. Anthony, the patron saint of matchmaking, on my behalf. He's also, of course, the patron saint of lost things. Hopefully not lost causes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

: - )