a gathering place for the words, images and momentos of the world of adventures i've adventured, the stories i've wandered through. curriculum bella vita...a resume, of sorts, of the good life.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

One Part of Mumbai

Scene One, while walking down the Marine Drive promenade about 9:00 pm

Can I shine your shoes?
No, thanks.
Only five rupees.
No, thanks.
Please?
No, thanks.
Please, sir, I can shine your shoes? I’m hungry.
Okay.

Scene Two, sitting on the abankment fronting the Arabian Sea, about 9:01 pm

Yes, my shoes do need a little shining.
Okay, sir.
The last man who wanted to shine my shoes said I would look like Al Pacino if only I would let him shine my shoes.
(No response.)
Do you know who Al Pacino is?
No.
He’s a movie star. I don’t look like Al Pacino. Do you live in Mumbai?
No. I am from Jaipur.
Oh, I hear its very nice there. I live in Hyderabad. Mai universityme hindi partta ta, aap hindi bol sakta hai?
Ha.
When did you come to Mumbai?
One week past.
Where is your family?
They stay in Jaipur only.
You came to Mumbai alone?
Yes. By the train. I need to earn money.
And you’re 12?
13.
Why did you come?
I need money for school. I just passed out 8th class. Now I have to pay $800 to go to school.
Wow.
Please help me, sir. Please help me go to school.
(No response.)
The shoe is good?
Yes, looks very good. Now, the other, please.
Okay.
Tell me about your family.
I have two little sisters. My mom cooks and cleans. But the people give her food, not money. My father is expired.
I’m sorry to hear that. Do your sisters go to school?
No.
Please pay for my school. Then I go back to Jaipur. You can come to the train station and watch. I will go back.
Entrepreuenership is a good skill. You are earning a good work ethic.
I thought you could help.
I will help. Here is 10 rupees for the shoeshine. And here is 100 rupees for school.
Okay.
Your English is very good, I think you will be a good student.
Okay.
Goodbye, young man, best of luck to you!
Okay.

Scene Three, the next night, between our guesthouse and Leopold's.

Look, Jeremy, it’s your friend again!
Hello, my friend, would you like to buy a map?
Hello, young man. You are selling maps today?
Yes, please buy it. Only 500 rupees.
I’m sorry, I don’t need a map today. I’m leaving in the morning.
Please, no one buys maps today.
I’m sorry. What is your name?
My name is Sanjay.
Sanjay, aap se milkar bari khushi hui. My name is Jeremy.
Okay.
Sell your map to someone else, but I am happy to see you again. Here is 100 rupees. Good luck, young man.
Thank you.

No comments: